Tuesday 9 August 2011

Chapter 3: The concluding part of the ongoing saga!

I've never really considered myself the type of guy that jumps in without thinking. Although, I did once accidentally buy an electric razor on ebay that I thought I had just been browsing. I emailed the seller to confess my mistake and call off the deal, he respectfully declined my request and called me a "fucking time waster". So with a heavy sense of moral responsibility I accepted my foolish purchase. When it arrived it didn't work. I grew a goatee and never bought anything on ebay again. Lesson learned.

And yet despite my overly cautious nature I cavalierly launched my Face2Facebook campaign last week with a pocket full of dreams and a handful of biscuits.

I reasoned that as long as no major UK wide news event broke at the same time, simultaneously involving and implicating Facebook and Twitter, I would be fine.

I can't write this without mentioning the riots. Not just because it'll make me look like a self obsessed douchebag but because once Hulk Hogan has expressed his opinion on an event it becomes too big to get around. Much like Hulk himself.

The original intention of Face2Facebook is to explore how we have all of these "friends" and yet we are completely unconnected to our fellow man. But over the last 24 hours I have seen whole communities using FB and Twitter to check on each other's safety, organise cleanup projects and post information about how to get home safely. I currently live in Leicester, which is so far trouble free, but after 13 years in London I still see it as my home town and frankly without social networking sites I would be completely out of the loop and frantically worried about my friends.

Even the humble text message has played it's part. How else would I have discovered that my non-Facebook using friend Dan was hoping to squeeze into his girlfriend's leotard and take to the rooftops dolling out justice and demi plie's in equal measure? That's right Dark Guardian, your secret is out.

There'll be a lot of talk over the next few weeks about social networking and how it can be used by bad people to do bad things. And it's right to have that discussion. But I'm humbled to see how it's been used for good over the last 24 hours.

But worry not my faithful followers, I promised that I would blog about the people I contacted last week and so I shall.

I wrote to the first five people on my friends list. One got back to me. That's right. One. The other four have their reasons and they are all good. When they do write back, rest assured you will hear all about it. In the meantime I would like to say to that Facebook friend; thank you for getting back to me. It was lovely to hear from you. I'm glad your dog, Mr. Sizzle has had his chakras realigned and I hope his job interviews are going well.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment